Life Lessons from Salsa Dancing...
I went salsa dancing for the first time in my life last week. I would be lying if I told you I was 'good' at dancing. I am not even going to pretend I knew what I was doing. I feel pretty comfortable dancing when I can freestyle it, but salsa dancing is like a whole other animal. I did however meet some very unique people and learn a thing or two (once I actually got up enough nerve to get my butt out there on the dance floor). I met a funny little dude who shared a few tips with me. What I realized though was that salsa dancing is kinda like having a relationship- metaphorically speaking. What my new little friend taught me could be applied to life, and love....
- Don't be scared. There is no right or wrong, there is only having fun or sitting on the sidelines.
- Don't take yourself too seriously. Nobody really 'knows' what they are doing. It's just about getting out there and doing what feels natural.
- It's ok to ask. If you want to be taught a new move, just go ask someone to show you how.
- Trust. When it's time for the dip all you have to do is stay strong in your core and trust your partner not to drop you.
- Stay centered. It doesn't matter where you step as long as you come back to center.
- Be open minded. If a small asian man with maple syrup breath who claims to be from Mars asks you to dance---- don't judge, say Yes. You might end up having a blast and learning some funny life lessons from him along the way!